Supply of surgical face masks
The Australian Government Department of Health has made surgical face masks available, and Northern Queensland Primary Health Network (NQPHN) has been distributing these face masks to general practices, Aboriginal Medical Services, and pharmacies across the region on behalf of the Department, according to approved guidelines.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) quick reference guides
- For Australian Government information on intended use of eye protection, use, and reuse of eye protection including cleaning and disinfection, and further information, view the Tranche 5 eye protection guidance for general practices, including Aboriginal Controlled Community Health Services, and for allied health practitioners in Queensland.
- The Australian Department of Health Infection Control Expert Group (ICEG) has updated the COVID-19 Guidance on the use of PPE by health care workers in areas with significant community transmission.
- Queensland Health has produced guidance documents for clinicians relating to PPE. Clinicians should use this information to keep patients safe, and to reduce and rationalise the use of PPE.
- The newly-appointed Statewide Infection Clinical Network (SICN) position statement on PPE also includes a decision-making tree for healthcare workers, and endorses the PPE guidelines published on the Queensland Health COVID-19 web page.
- Please read the Department of Health’s information on the use of surgical masks here.
- Watch the Wearing personal protective equipment in aged care video by Australia’s Chief Nursing and Midwifery Officer.
- There are also informative demonstration videos from the Tasmanian Government on how to use and fit PPE.
- For more advanced education and training for infection control portfolio holders within private facilities, please refer to the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care e-learn modules on the principles of infection prevention and control.
31 August 2020
Was this helpful?
Have your say
As part of our quality system, a feedback process has been introduced to enable us to better understand what we are doing well and what we can improve.