My health for life is a six-month evidence-based lifestyle modification program to support participants to understand their lifestyle risks and action their health goals. NQPHN encourages health professionals to refer eligible participants to a locally run program or telephone program. Funded by the State Government and delivered by the Healthier Queensland Alliance, the program encourages and supports participants to achieve and maintain healthy lifestyle goals.
How to get involved
Community groups play an important role in advocating and supporting healthier communities. If your organisation is hosting a community event, contact us to see if there is an opportunity for us to conduct free risk assessments.
Have a question? Call our 13 RISK number (13 74 75).
About My health for life
My health for life is a Queensland integrated risk assessment and behaviour modification program that aims to assist participants to reduce their risk of developing chronic conditions such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease and stroke. Based in the community and delivered by local healthcare practitioners, this initiative will identify those at high risk of developing chronic conditions and offer them a tailored, but flexible, healthy lifestyle program.
For further information, visit www.myhealthforlife.com.au or phone 13 RISK (7475)
How does it work?
My health for life offers eligible participants a structured six-month lifestyle modification program. This program works in partnership with GPs and other clinical services, providing patients an opportunity to participate in an evidence-based lifestyle modification program in their local community. Facilitators are trained health professionals, including dietitians and exercise physiologists, who have a keen interest in preventive health.
This program is a practical extension of the advice given by clinicians to their patients, allowing participants to better understand their lifestyle risks and action their health goals. GPs will be kept informed of their patients’ progress, completing the care cycle. Health professionals are a critical part of the My health for life program, and we look forward to building strong, professional relationships while contributing to your patients’ overall care.
Northern Queensland providers
My health for life Provider recruitment
My health for life is now accepting expressions of interest
My Heath for life is currently seeking to expand the network of providers within selected areas in Queensland to support the delivery of the program in 2020 and beyond. The target is to have 10,000 participants complete the program by 30 June 2020.
Over the past few years of operation the My health for life team has fine-tuned the provider recruitment process to ensure they capture interest from those businesses best placed to be successful in the role.
A provider is best placed to be successful in delivering the My health for life program when the business:
- is currently engaged with people at risk of developing chronic disease
- is supported by administrative staff and has access to a suitable group meeting room
- has a flexible delivery mode, allowing time and resources to be allocated to participant recruitment
- is well established with existing networks and referral pathways within the local community
- is committed to, and passionate about, preventative health.
The application process is outlined below.
- Interested parties (allied health services/medical centres) receive the My health for life information kit to build understanding of the program and the investment involved.
- Interested parties contact My health for life Intervention Lead. The purpose of contact is to expand on the information received, to explore the business’s capacity to meet the program deliverables, to clarify processes. Facilitator training dates are also discussed and processes confirmed.
- Application to be submitted by the interested parties by COB 25 November 2019.
- Applications are assessed by the Operations Management Committee (OMC). The committee will consider:
- business location and reach
- alignment with an area of need in comparison to other applicants
- response to the selection criteria
- capacity to recruit participants within their own business networks
- existing staff structure and suitability of staff to undertake facilitator role.
- Operations Management Committee nominate successful applicants.
- Applicants are notified by email (both successful and not successful).
- Successful applicants receive My health for life contract for consideration and sign off.
- My health for life engages with nominated facilitators through an interview process.
- Facilitator training held March 2020.
My health for life are looking for providers in the following locations in the NQPHN region:
- Cassowary Coast
- Charters Towers.
Northern Queensland Primary Health Network (NQPHN) will work with local practices to support risk assessment activities and identify patients who are eligible for referral into the program. GPs who refer patients into the MH4L programs will be provided with patient progress reports. Patients can be referred using the practice software MH4L referral template or calling 13 Risk (13 74 75). View upcoming programs across Cairns, Townsville, and Mackay below, or download the upcoming events flyer here.
Upcoming programs Cairns
Provider: FNQ Health and Fitness (Atherton)
Facilitator: Carla Barletta
Start date: Tuesday 22 November 2019
Provider: The Doctors on Mulgrave Road (Westcourt)
Facilitator: Judy Coburn
Start date: Monday 3 February 2020
Upcoming programs Townsville
Stay tuned for more information
Upcoming programs Mackay
Stay tuned for more information
My health for life practice software referral templates
Referring patients to the free My health for life program has now become so much easier with referral templates available for the following practice software:
There is also a fillable PDF referral form for printing and faxing
These new (January 2018) templates now include updated eligibility criteria, being;
- AusDrisk Score is now lowered to 12 (previously 15)
- Patients diagnosed with Pre Diabetes are now eligible (aged 18 and over)
- For full eligibility criteria visit www.myhealthforlife.com.au