Who we are
Northern Queensland Primary Health Network (NQPHN) is an independent, not-for-profit organisation funded by the Australian Government to commission services to meet the health needs and priorities of our region.
Primary health care is recognised as the most effective way to keep communities and individuals healthy and well.
Our purpose is to ensure people of northern Queensland access primary health care services that respond to their individual and community needs, and are relevant to their culture, informed by evidence, and delivered by an appropriately skilled, well-integrated workforce.
We aim to improve health outcomes for all by working with GPs, pharmacists, dentists, nurses, allied health professionals, and organisations specialising in chronic disease management, health promotion, aged care, mental health, and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health. We also work with secondary care providers, hospitals, and the wider community.
What we do
We provide hands on expert support for primary health care workforce including:
- general practice
- including general practitioners, general practice nurses, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Workers, practice managers, and administration
- including pharmacists, pharmacy assistants, practice managers, and administration
- dental practice
- dentists, dental assistants, dental hygienists, practice managers, and administration
- allied health practice
- audiologists, chiropractors, dieticians, exercise physiologists, genetic counsellors, music therapists, occupational therapists, orthoptists, orthotist/prosthetists, osteopaths, physiotherapists, podiatrists, perfusionists, psychologists, social workers, sonographers, speech pathologists, diabetes educators, diversional therapists, practice managers, and administration
We also work closely with other organisations that play a vital role in health including:
- Hospital and Health Services:
Torres and Cape Hospital and Health Service, Cairns and Hinterland Hospital and Health Service, Mackay Hospital and Health Service, Townsville Hospital and Health Service
- Local Government and councils across our 26 Local Government Areas.
- Private Hospitals:
Mater Hospital Townsville, Mater Hospital Mackay, Cairns Private Hospital, North Mackay Private Hospital
- Other organisations such as community nursing agencies, residential aged care and respite facilities, medical specialists, national and peak health and wellness organisations
Health Priorities in our Area
Many social, economic, and environmental factors contribute to health outcomes for communities and individuals. We have a focus on preventative approaches to health including immunisation and health screening, promoting better nutrition and staying active, and reducing the impact of alcohol, smoking, and other drugs on health and wellbeing.
There are a number of health conditions that are a priority in our region:
- mental health
- chronic disease
- cardiovascular disease
- respiratory diseases including asthma and COPD
- communicable disease and immunisation, and infectious disease.